Sunday, July 10, 2005

 

My 2005 ICFPC Submission

My Ocaml code for the 2005 ICFP Programming Contest is now available at http://www.wutka.com/download/markwutka_icfpc.tgz
I'm sorry to say that there is only one barely informative comment. The only other comments are code that has been commented out.

One of the things I learned last night on IRC was that I can optimize some of my match statements. The parser (parser.ml) has lines like this in its match:

| "nod:" :: name :: tag :: x :: y :: [] -> handle_node name (node_tag_of_string tag)
(int_of_string x) (int_of_string y)

Apparently, I can make this a little shorter with:

| ["nod:";name;tag;x;y] -> handle_node name (node_tag_of_string tag)
(int_of_string x) (int_of_string y)

Although I am happy with my choice of Ocaml for doing this project, I am not happy with my usage of Ocaml. I didn't use the "O" part of it at all - no objects. I did things as modules and it was a little cumbersome. I should have made a generic Bot class and then derived the cop and robber from that. I ended up copying too much code back and forth.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?